Thursday, February 7, 2013

Maggie Hudson



                                                                                Today’s B&O employee is Maggie Hudson.
Maggie began her career in 1943. She was one of the first female African-Americans hired as Porterettes. She was a member of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters Union and received the same rate of pay as male porters. She transferred to the B&O’s Central Office after the B&O-C&O merger in 1965 and cleaned the president’s office at night. She retired in 1979 after 36 years of service. In a 2002 interview she stated “My experience on the railroad was fine. I stayed there and I liked it. I’ll tell you the experience that I had, I wouldn’t change it for nothing at all.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aunt maggie last of 19 brothers and sisters love her