Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mark Twain Visits Ellicott City Station


It was that on the 10th of June, 1909 after traveling from New York on the B&O’s Royal Blue and transferring to a local train at Camden Station, that Mark Twain found himself walking through the Ellicott City Station. Passing through the Main Waiting Room, down the narrow stairs and out to the street he met a carriage dispatched to transport him up to Catonsville where he would be the guest speaker at the commencement exercises for
Saint Timothy’s School for Girls.

His address that day was short, to the point and typical Twain:

“I don't know what to tell you girls to do. Mr. Martin has told you everything you ought to do, and now I must give you some don'ts.
There are three things which come to my mind which I consider excellent advice:

First, girls, don't smoke--that is, don't smoke to excess. I am seventy- three and a half years old, and have been smoking seventy-three of them. But I never smoke to excess--that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time.

Second, don't drink--that is, don't drink to excess.

Third, don't marry--I mean, to excess.

Honesty is the best policy. That is an old proverb; but you don't want ever to forget it in your journey through life.”
This was to be Mark Twain’s last public address. He passed away 10 months later.

Courtney B. Wilson
Executive Director